Friday, March 18, 2011

Conflicting Visions

For those of you just joining me, I am writing about the process of creating a made to order large neck piece for an Australian bride. The dates at the top of each post show the time period covered

Dec.21 to Dec. 23, 2010

I think the most frustrating part of this whole project was dealing with the time difference between Australia and western New York , USA.  It was a 16 hour difference, which meant Pricylla  was not only at another time of day- but it was a whole different day there!!  Makes communication a bit hard.  For instance, when I sent pictures of the components and asked her which ones she liked, it took a couple of days for an answer.  Meanwhile, work was at a standstill.  This was pretty much unavoidable.  But frustrating anyway.  Especially with the holidays creeping up on me.

But I did finally hear back from her, and although she said it in a very nice way, she said that she really didn't like florals and would rather go with a more tribal theme. Since I didn't know if Australian "tribal" translated to US "tribal" I asked for her to send me some pictures of what she had in mind. While I waited for a reply, I made these 2 components, thinking they might like them better.




Again, I pinned them on the dressform with some of the strands of beads to get an idea of proportion and color.

But before I could email pictures to Priscylla, she sent me some photos of what she had in mind, and I decided I needed to go back to the drawing board.





These are a few of the pictures she sent.  I lot different than what I had pictured!  It sure was hard to get a feel for what someone was thinking that far away.  Had I bitten off more than I could chew?!?
 
The owl component still hasn't arrived, but I did receive the turquoise cabochon I ordered and I liked it.  I thought it would go into the center main part of the piece.  But I couldn't work on that at all until I got the owl.  So I concentrated on making some of the smaller side pieces in a style that the bride would like.  At least I felt at this point that I was getting more of a handle on what she wanted.

Next post- "I think I've got it!!" ...I came up with a component I hoped the bride would like.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment