Thursday, March 10, 2011

The beads have arrived!!

For those of you just joining me, I am writing about the process of creating a made to order large neck piece for an Australian bride. The dates at the top of each post show the time period covered

Dec. 17-20. 2010


The beads have arrived!!  And what a pile of beads!  It was fun sorting through them-  there were lots of variation from what I had pictured in my mind. I can't really get a good idea of size, color etc. until I have them in my hands.  But for the most part, I am pretty confident that I can work with these. 

The dress form was also delivered, so I am good to go.  I unpacked all the beads, pulled out some cabochons and beads from my own stash and got to work 

 
  

After staring at them all for awhile I decided to make a few of the "flower" components and see which ones Priscylla liked.


I needed to get a better idea of size.  Although I didn't have Pricylla's measurements yet, she sent me her weight and height so I could get an idea of her stature.  Until this point, I didn't know if she was 90 lbs or 300 lbs!  I adjusted the dress frame to small, which was a close enough estimate at this point.  I hadn't received the owl focal yet, so I printed out a picture the right size, cut it out, and pinned it to the dress form, just to give me an idea of proportion.  Then I pinned on the different flower components, as well as a few of the other beads and took a picture to send to the bride. She could let me know which of the bead strands appealed to her.


I wanted Priscylla to be able to choose each part of the neck piece herself, so it was just what she wanted.  I really did not have a good handle on what she had in mind yet.  Also, the colors on the turquoise drops varied a LOT.  So I sent her a pic of the drops along with the other 2 pics for her to make some choices.



After seeing how small the owl looked on the whole piece, I knew I would need to add to the main focal so it wouldn't look lost.   I ordered a beautiful Turquoise cabochon to include.

next post:  Which components did she pick?   

1 comment:

  1. Amazing seeing all those beads at once, this is going to be great watching you create Priscylla's neck piece.

    ReplyDelete