Follow by Email

Monday, May 21, 2012

Can I just finish this necklace?!?!

Have you ever worked on a piece that seemed like you would never get finished?  I just did!!

It is a collar that I am entering into the FMG seed bead contest at the end of the month.  Actually, I am entering two pieces.  The first one came together easily, and was finished weeks ago.

But this one.....!!!  It is something quite different for me and I was pretty excited about it.  I started working on it in Dec., and had all the components finished for quite awhile.  It sat in my studio in a tray, and I would continually rearrange the components, even taking pictures of them in different arrangements until I came up with one I thought I liked.  About a month ago I assembled it, and made a few more components to add to it

Here is a sneak peek of some of the components- I don't want to show you the whole piece until after the competition!


.


I wanted it asymmetrical- but that has always been a struggle for me.  And this was no exception.  It just didn't work out like I pictured it.  So I started tearing it apart and rearranging it again.  OK- I liked it.  Then I added black connecting parts.  I loved it!  ....until the next morning that is.  Too dark.  So I tore it all apart and modified the connectors.

Still not happy- I decided to add a big fringe.  I finished this one night, fairly pleased with it, until, again, morning came and I decided the fringe needed to be longer.  Added length to the fringe, but, NO, I DIDN"T LIKE IT!  Tore off the whole fringe.

By this time I was getting really frustrated.  My son and wife are coming for a visit for a few days and I really should be getting the house ready.  I have my first show in 2 weeks, and I have bundles of stuff to do for that!  And the "Battle of the Beadsmith" is pressing in on me- I  need to get started on that piece.  So last night I decided to finish the clasp etc. and just be done with it.  I could live with it, even though it is not what I envisioned.

This morning, I took some photos of it.  And yes, you guessed it, it turned out that I could not live with it as it was.  I tore out part of it and re-positioned a couple of components.  Done. I think it's OK.

Here is a picture of the back- actually- I really like the back!!

So, now I have to get started on my other projects.  Happy this is done.  Wait- if I just added one more bead over there..........

6 comments:

  1. Yeah I've had ideas that seem so good in my head but just don't seem to look right once I execute them. They need something but I can't figure out what. I usually give up and move on - congrats on sticking to it, can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma- they quite often don't turn out the way I expect. But usually I can work them around so I am happy with them. This one has been a real challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had quite a few pieces like that. What I do like is the aha! moment when you suddenly realise where you are going wrong and what needs to be done to make the piece work. Then the joy of finishing after such a long and difficult incubation ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fabulous Betty.
    Happy Day,
    -Eva Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree...wow is right. BEAUTIFUL STUFF! I have just got into the beading and wire sculpting style, and am a craft-a-holic myself, but you have so many diff items that are beautiful. So I hadda become a follower I gotta see some! You should check out my blog! I have a blog that revolves mostly around handcrafted items. An once you become a follower from that point on any blog post you comment on you have a chance of winning a prize from because all of my blog focuses put up prizes for the followers!! I'd love to add some of your items on your blog and make a blog with your beautiful and creative creations! Hope to see ya around!
    TTYS,
    Dana
    My blog link- http://fan-freekin-tastic-fasionista-stars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete